Saturday, December 6, 2008

Book Recommendations

Baby Book: I have read a lot of books on babies....big surprise there. I would like to highly recommend the book, Bright from the Start, by Dr. Jill Stamm. This book is fantastic in understanding how the baby's brain hard wires very early in life and how little, simple actions on a parent or caregivers part can enhance the desire to learn, bond, and communicate through life. The book downplays the expensive edu-tainment toys, flashy lights/sound toys, and even TV in general. Simple ideas such as a parent's face being the best "toy" for a baby to look at, a parent's voice through reading a book, or skin-to-skin touch is what really activates the brain for learning enjoyment, longer attention span, and communication skills. The books doesn't just tell you what to do with your baby; it also gives a scientific reason for doing them. Very good book.
-
Financial Book: I read this book awhile ago; in fact, Jason wanted me to read it before we got married. It is called, Smart Couples Finish Rich, by David Bach. This is not one of those get-rich-scheme books. Rather, its a book about how to live "richly" which does not necessarily refer to a monetary idea. The book does have great personal financial advice but it really is unique in having you outline your priorities in life (marriage, security, family, spirituality, etc) and aligning these priorities to the money you make. You may say that financial security is a big priority for you but are you putting your money towards that idea or more towards a Starbucks latte every week? This is a great book to read right now given the economic climate. It can help people feel they have a bit of control over their life priorities and goals rather than feeling adrift during economic hardships (Also check out Smart Women Finish Rich....it doesnt involve gold-digging)

1 comment:

mama bird said...

Hi Allie,
I think I have your Smart Couples Finish Rich...yes I just looked and there it is sitting on my shelf! I will get it back to you soon! ;)
erica