THE DAYS ARE LONG, BUT THE YEARS ARE SHORT (I heard this quip about child rearing and it stuck with me)-
So, I have been pretty consistent in updating the blog every week or so....and then we had Mia. It has been a very tough first month with our little one. We soon discovered that she has colic which is awful. She can cry for 3-4 hours at a length of time and they are the most piercing screams. More often than not she cannot be consoled at all. Jason and I have done massive amounts of Internet searches, read tons of books on colic remedies, and tried so many so-called remedies like Gripe Water, probiotics, the 5S techniques, acid reflux meds, formula changes, etc....nothing is a sure solution though. I have come to realize that I just need to cope with it as time is the only thing that improves colic. How much time? 3 months of crying (mom and baby) is what most experts agree upon. Wish us all luck....we have another month and a half to go.
-
Also, we had a scary episode at the hospital this week. I came down with a virus last weekend and of course Mia got it a few days later. The pediatrician said to take her to the hospital if she reaches 100.4 degrees as a fever in an infant is very serious. So, as luck would have it, she hit 100.7 deg on Saturday night. We rushed to the ER and proceeded to do required tests to check where the fever was coming from. She had urine sampled, blood collected, RSV and flu swabs done, and even a spinal tap to check for meningitis. All tests were negative except for the blood sample.....it showed a bacterial growth....really scary as sepsis can be deadly. They put her on IV antibiotics and pulled another blood sample. Well, we were finally released 5 days later on Saturday when the second blood sample showed that the first was contaminated.
-
We are so happy that Mia is okay and likely had the fever only from a common cold. Still, it was AWFUL to watch our little baby go through all of that. The outpouring of concern from family and friends is so appreciated. We are so fortunate for so many things and your prayers, visits, calls, and emails mean so much. I'm sure this isn't the last time parenthood will scare us but I sure didn't expect it so soon in her life.
-
Well, I hope future posts are more uplifting. I hope to report on fun stuff like her laughing and playing. For now, I will be excited when the colic is gone.....
No comments:
Post a Comment