Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Iron-spectator

I got up at 5AM on Sunday with my friend, Aime, to watch the start of Ironman AZ in Tempe. I had wanted to watch the swim start of an Ironman for some time and I must say, it’s one of the coolest things I have seen. There are so many athletes that start swimming all at once in the lake; on top of each other, kicking, and thrashing right as the gun goes off. I also wanted to go to cheer on my friend and co-worker, Kelly Augustine. It was his first Ironman and he did great. He really smoked the run portion of the race.
-
In case you don’t know, the Ironman is the big daddy of triathlons. It’s a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon run (26.2miles) ….all in one day! Most of the triathlons I do are a quarter of this length so I can only imagine how tired, yet accomplished, one must feel to do an entire Ironman.
-
Ironman in my future? Certainly not now with a little one on the way. I will just stick to my Olympic and Quarter-Ironmans for next year. Maybe I will get crazy enough to do one many years down the road though. I’d have to get really crazy…..

No comments: