Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hiking Recap

I need to do a bit of backtracking to talk about some things we have recently done since I now have some pictures. First of all, my parents were here about two weeks ago and during that time we drove down to Westcliffe, CO which is just SW of Colorado Springs. When I was about one, my dad built a cabin in Westcliffe and I spent a lot of my childhood down there...it has great memories for me. So, it was a real treat to go down there again. It has been 15 years since I was last there and I love that I can take my family now (we don't have the cabin anymore though).
-
My mom graciously looked after Mia in town while my dad, Jason and I took off for the day to hike. We hiked to two high alpine lakes called South and North Colony lake in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. We had spectacular views of Crestone and Humbolt mountains which top out above 14,000 feet. The lakes we went to were around 11,000 ft which is above tree line so it is just a different world up there. We also saw a mountain goat that was maybe 25 feet away from us. Below are some pictures of our day hike (note, pictures were taken with a disposable camera and then scanned...not the best quality but you get the picture....haha!) More adventures to talk about later....
Think again, Jason...... such an urbanite.... North Colony Lake....approx 11,000 ft

1 comment:

Amy said...

Love the updates - hope life is going well out in Colorado for you! We miss you though!